Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Three Tree Green Garden

The first time I noticed Serena's gift with words was when she was not quite 3 yet. We were looking at a book of shapes. I would point at a square, or rectangle, or circle, and she would say its name. I always skipped the parallelogram, for obvious reason. She pointed at it one day and asked, "What's that?". I didn't even bother to slow down and said half-heartedly, "Oh, that's a parallelogram." I turned the page to move on. Serena repeated quietly to herself, "Parallelogram." with perfect enunciation.

From then on, I would try to get her to say crazy words. She loved the game and caught on quickly. By the time she turned 4, she has learned to say words like "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious". It took her a handful of times to figure out "tikki tikki tembo-no sa rembo-chari bari ruchi-pip peri pembo", which took me a whole month to learn...

Serena still loves tongue-twisters (try Fox in Socks by Dr. Seuss!) and she makes up her own from time to time. It's hard to capture those moments when she is being creative - as soon as I whip out the camera, she clams up. I got lucky recently when she was her happy self at the park, her happy place. She seemed inspired by the beautiful day and the trees around her, and started rhyming off this little tongue-twisting poem she named, "The Three Tree Green Garden":


Storybird has been a great new tool to let her creative juice flow. Here's another little Storybird book she made just this morning: Music in the Seasons.

Hope you enjoy Serena's creation as much as I do!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for letting us see and hear Serena
    at play. And watching her mind at work.
    Nanny & Papa

    ReplyDelete