Friday, April 8, 2011

Trail to the Tree


Thank you to Ann Voskamp for her Easter devotional guide, Trail to the Tree. With eagerness, we collected a bunch of fallen twigs and branches around our neighbourhood and readied our Easter Passion Tree. We take a step on the Trail each day, reading Scripture together, praying, and hanging up classic art ornament as we journey toward Easter.

I suggested giving up something for the Lenten season to Serena, just for 2 days as a start for her. Without skipping a beat, she replied with pure unfiltered childish honesty: "I know! I know! I won't play with my Barbies for 2 days. Because that's eeeeeasy!" (She has indeed lost interest in her Barbies lately.) I shall let you imagine my exasperated response and the lecture on the meaning of sacrifice that followed.

But then I thought, isn't that exactly why we need and celebrate Easter? Did she not just succinctly illustrate the condition of our heart as a result of the Fall? Did she not unabashedly reveal our need for a Saviour, our need to be passed over, to be rescued?

"We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all." Isaiah 53:6

2 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear that the Easter devotion is working out well Serena and mum! Praise God for the reasons for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pippa! Funny enough, this morning during worship, Serena out of the blue turned to me and said, "I know what I'm going to give up for Jesus. I'm not going to sleep with my Bunna. I won't sleep with her until all the way to Easter. Bunna is very special to me." Doesn't God have a good sense of humour??

    ReplyDelete