Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Swimming

"I'm not ready, Mommy."

That was Serena's response when I told her I signed her up for swimming lessons in October last year. She loves the water and we've been swimming regularly at the Ladner pool since she was 2. I figured it's time for her to learn some proper techniques from a more qualified swimmer than her mother.

Serena was assessed and put into Swim Kids 2 classes. That was a good start for it gave her special bragging rights - "I skipped level 1!" She passed with ease and got her level 2 badge in December. Level 3 badge followed in March. Two days ago, she got her level 4 badge. She was over the moon because I told her early on that it's not uncommon for kids to have to take level 4 more than once to pass. Well, silly me!

That's the challenge of parenting I find - the delicate balance of holding her when she's not ready and letting her go when she is. The tricky part is recognizing when she is ready, especially when she thinks she's not. I don't always get the timing right, but I think I got it this time.

Swim Kids 5, here she comes!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Serena! You are a great swimmer:) Blessings Mrs D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serena.Great result.We are sure it is because you
    worked very hard.congrats.Nanny & Papa
    P.S.Now you can swim when you come to Florida.

    ReplyDelete