Thursday, May 9, 2013

Poetry Fun

April was Poetry Month. We took advantage of all those dreary rainy days and snuggled up with a pile full of poetry books.

We're particularly excited to discover 2 books by Marty Nystrom: "Don't Mess With Moses! - peculiar poems and rib-tickling rhymes" and "Zack, You're Acting Zany! - playful poems and riveting rhymes". The author hopes "to pique kid's curiosity in the Bible and to see it as interesting, exciting and well worth reading!"

Other fun poetry books we read recently:
"Food Hates You, Too and Other Poems" by Robert Weinstock
"A Kick In The Head: An Everyday Guide to Poetic Forms" by Paul B. Janeczko
"World Rat Day: Poems About Real Holidays You've Never Heard Of" by J. Patrick Lewis
"Tie Your Socks And Clap Your Feet: Mixed-Up Poems" by Lenny Hort
"City I Love" by Lee Bennett Hopkins
"Around The World On Eighty Legs" by Amy Gibson
"What's For Dinner? Quirky, Squirmy Poems from the Animal World" by Katherine B. Hauth

A Normal Day
A Mixed-Up Poem by Serena
(Inspiration from "Tie Your Socks And Clap Your Feet" by Lenny Hort)

I wake up and close my eyes,
stretch my ears up to the sky.
I mess up my bed
and I comb my head,
then I feed my cats some bread
sprinkled with raspberry spread.
I make myself a cup of dinner
to make myself a little thinner.
After that I brush my nose and floss my toes,
and eat a few books while I read buttered toast.
I go in my house as I walk out the door,
rolling to my dentist on the second floor.
He rots my teeth and brushes my eyes,
then tells me to eat a bowl of flies.
I walk out the door to go inside
because it's raining fruit horses and flies.
I might as well go to bed,
turn on the lights and hear the moon set.
The beginning.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about the dreary day's of April.
    However great to see you did read and enjoy
    So many good books and poems
    We very much enjoyed the poem by Serena
    Love Nanny & Papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem should have been shared on our poetry competition Tina! Well done Serena what a lovely nonsensical but perfectly balanced poem:) I loved the sense of humour! This is a 10!

    ReplyDelete