Thursday, May 15, 2014

Giorgio Morandi


I painted this still life with artists' pastel at Mr. Tony's Art Class. It was inspired by an Italian artist, Giorgio Morandi (1890-1964). Morandi is famous for painting vases, but empty vases without flowers. He saw the vases as a symbol of the human body, filling them with water as we drink water.

Notice in my painting that light is coming from the top right corner. You can see the orange reflection from the table cloth onto the vase, and the yellow on top of the green leaves. The light spot on the vase highlights the glass texture of the vase.

4 comments:

  1. Wow we admired and were blown away by the colours .
    Pretty spring flowers. Very artistic.
    Love Nanny & Papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina and Serena,

    I've been so inspired by your blog. Thanks for sharing! I've seen you around at some HCOS learning camps before and we might have said hi to each other before. I'm also friends with Leanne and my daughter goes to forest class with Caleb. You have inspired me to work on our learning outcomes presentation.

    Ai Ling w Sophie (7) n Levi (3)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your kind words, Ai Ling! Hope we can meet in person again soon. God bless you in your homeschooling adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Serena! I loved how you caught the daintiness of these flowers in all their ephemeral quality!

    ReplyDelete